Holy smokes. My blogger friend, Dia, honored me by selecting my humble little ol’ blog for the Stylish Blog Award. I’m flattered to get any award, but one coming from The Odd and Unmentionable fame leaves me breathless, gasping, and Googling. Where did this award originate? Who thought this up and what, exactly is the purpose behind it? I didn’t learn much:
- The award is ephemeral. I can find no originating post. It appears to be global, hopefully not quite viral. It seems to have spontaneously sprouted around the first of the new year—2011— that is.
- The rules accompanying receipt of the award morph through cyber-space. It reminds me of the old start-a-rumor-exercise that my teacher instigated in grade school. We sat in a circle and the first person whispered a sentence to the person next to her; that person repeated the sentence to the person on the other side; this continued throughout the circle till the sentence returned the first girl who giggled at the transformation of her sentence.
Despite the enigmatic origin of this award, I’ve decided to particpate because we all need a pat on the back now and then. This seems like a good way to open a few new doors in the blogosphere. Besides, I can’t possibly let Dia down. So the rules, as best I can determine, go something like this:
- Make a post and link back to the person who awarded you this award. (done)
- Share 7 things about yourself. (done)
- Award 10 or 15 (depends on who sent you the rules) recently discovered great bloggers. (done – sort of)
- Contact these bloggers and tell them they’ve won! (doing)
Seven things about me.
- Until I reached my 50’s I thought I had brown eyes. Then I met a gentleman who indignantly informed me that I had lied in my self-description; that in fact, I have green eyes. For the next six months I went about quizzing friends and strangers about my eye color. I do have green eyes. Well, greenish–brown.
- I refuse to attend pyramid parties; No Avon, Tupperware, Melalueca, candle, lingerie, jewelry, or sex toy parties for me.
- I refuse to comply with chain letters, electronic or otherwise…this award comes painfully close to an electronic version of a chain letter, but there is no threat associated with it, so I’m letting this one slide.
- I am surely the only person on the planet who dislikes all the following foods: watermelon, artichoke, and yogurt.
- I love dissecting dead things. I wanted to be a veterinarian, but lacked the brains to tackle the academics. The lab work, however, was right down my alley.
- Although I rarely watch television, I’m hooked on “What Not to Wear.” My heart lurches every time they dump some poor person’s wardrobe in the trash can.
- The biggest crush I ever had was on the 30-something UW Orchestra conductor. My obsession lasted from the 9th grade through 12th grade. And that, folks, is something I have never confessed to anyone.
Now for the fun part!
My nominations for the Stylish Blog Award go to:
Priya at Partial View
Charles at Mostly Bright Ideas
Snoring Dog Studio
Ava Honey at Blissful Nutrition
Cindy Salo at Sagebrush & Spuds
Miley at Musings of a Confused Woman
You know what? I’m quitting at six stylish bloggers. I’m afraid I don’t really follow that many blogs. I’d like to; there’s sure lots of wonderful stuff out there, but who has the time? I already spend way to much of my day behind this screen.
Carry on, you stylish bloggers!